Tudor Place Historic House and GardenTudor Place was built by Martha Washington's granddaughter, Martha Custis Peter, and her husband, Thomas Peter, son of a successful Scottish tobacco merchant. The Peters asked Dr. William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol, to design the stately neoclassical house with its circular domed portico and expansive gardens. Completed in 1816, Tudor Place remained under the ownership of six succeeding generations of the Peter family until 1983.
Following the death of its last owner, Armistead Peter 3rd, the historic site opened to the public in 1988 under the stewardship of the Tudor Place Foundation. Tudor Place brings to life the cultural and social history of over 180 years of the Peter family.
HoursAdmission is by docent-led tour. Tue-Sat 10 & 11am, 12, 1, 2 & 3 pm
Sun: 12, 1, 2 & 3 pm
For regular entry of 10 or fewer, no reservations required; coupon holders, please call (202) 965-0400 to reserve.
House tour lasts approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Close Mondays & during the month of January, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Seniors (62+) & Military (with ID): $8.00
Students ages 5-17 (student ID may be requested): $3.00*
Garden only (with self-guided map/audio tour): $3.00
Calendar of Events